NC Legislature's Long Session, 2019
* Please help to encourage the North Carolina legislature to make Bailey Patton state law and provide for fair taxation of ALL government retirees in NC, including military retirees...
* Read more here:
The NC 4th Branch is lobbying hard to get the legislative bill entitled “Equal Tax Treatment of Government Retirees” passed this upcoming session. We are approaching a make-or-break point on this critical tax exemption issue that benefits newly retired and soon to be retired military personnel, as well as retired government employees at all levels. A key factor that the General Assembly legislators have often pointed out is that they are not hearing about this issue from their constituents throughout the state. The 4th Branch lobbying team sends our legislative alerts at appropriate times and asks subscribers to send out pre-staged email messages to their respective state legislators. Please know that we have established a new platform to enhance the quality of website operations. Today, most organizations that advocate for causes, use a similar technology as one method of outreach to legislators. Our website is easy to navigate and use to get important messages to the smart phones and computers of staff and legislators. Our chapters of 4th Branch member organizations have tried a variety of outreach methods to solicit support for registering on the 4th Branch website and system with minimal results. Our grassroots efforts have such potential for making a difference, but they require some commitment and effort. Remember that you do not need to be a retiree to register for the 4th Branch website. Please consider encouraging your spouse, other adult family members, friends, colleagues to register for the 4th Branch website at www.4thbranchnc.org.
Link: Sign the petition here:
* Greetings and Happy 2018! We've got great news to share... The 4th Branch has launched a new website and advocacy center in support of our efforts to eliminate the state income tax on government retirees’ hard-earned retirement benefits! If you're receiving this email, you're already part of the new advocacy center and have access to alerts, calls-to-action, petitions and more.
* We Need Your Help! To help us launch the new site and our online advocacy tool, we've launched a new petition (in advance of this year's legislative session) to gather names to show the strength of our cause. Please take just a moment to visit the action center at the website and click "Take Action" (or the arrow beside "1 Petition") to add your name and help us validate our membership.
* As always, being a part of the 4th Branch is free and open to ANYONE concerned about ending the taxation of military, federal, state and local government retirement benefits. Feel free to share this email or the website with any of your peers.
Powered by VoterVoice
CLICK HERE to visit the new site - and visit the Action Center to sign the petition today!
November 15, 2017
These are three corrected/updated 4th Branch materials that were created by the Insight Advocacy & Communications group for use based on materials that has been used in the past. They were recently provided to the 4th Branch Team with the recommendation that they be given widest dissemination. Edits have been made and the documents have been finalized and can be opened/read/printed out by clicking the individual items, below, or by opening in the Downloads.
* The TIME to Never Stop Serving is more important than ever as MOAA and the North Carolina Council of Chapters move into 2017...the newest changes happening in our nation's legislative body should make this year an important one for getting many of the top issues for the Military Officers Association of America enacted.
* As always, NCCOC Chapters are encouraged to emphasize the importance of being enrolled in MOAA's Legislative Alerts to all members in order to get our "One Powerful Voice" in front of the Congress.
June 24, 2016
* In a June 24, 2016 e-mail from Jeri Graham, NCCOC Past President and Legislative Chair for the North Carolina Veteran's Council, it was reported that an 1130 committee meeting re: HB 842 was scheduled. Because of good interventions to keep this bill moving, the good news is that it's working.
* Here are some more good results so far for the legislative bills that the NCVC has been working on:
- HB 256 - ratified and should be signed soon:-)
- S 105 - voted positively (second committee meeting) - Homeland Security, Military and Veterans Affairs.
- HB 842 - hopefully there will be a reversal of the bill being sent to Appropriations since no monies are involved; previously sent out of Rules to Health, after which they sent it to Appropriations.
* This is probably all we'll get accomplished in the Short Session which is probably pretty good since it has been such a difficult time with considering the impact of HB 2.
* Jeri has had discussions with Ken Melton re: Engage 4th Branch...hopefully, all can see minor changes such that when you log on to www.4thbranchnc.org you shouldn't have to keep registering each time...whew! Plans are such that the contractor for Engage 4th Branch will be getting out more frequent messaging...pushing for weekly messages. Jeri has asked Melton and Assoc. to please adapt their legislative reports so messages can be shared on websites and newsletters.
* Stand by for more news, as it becomes available.
April 15, 2015
* CAPT David Lee, USNR-Ret., North Carolina Council of Chapter 2nd V.P. (L) and COL Vern Pike, USA-Ret., North Carolina Council of Chapters Past President (R) man the MOAA table at the Veteran's Recognition Day in the NC Legislative Building in Raleigh this date.
* Following the morning's activity in the 1100 Hall of the Legislative Building, all the veterans were invited to the House Chamber for remarks and a Q&A session with the House Speaker Tim Moore (lower photograph).
Scroll over the thumbnail pictures to the right to see some of the other veterans organizations participating in this important day of recognition.
- Vietnam Veterans
- American Legion
- NC Veterans Business Association
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
- NC Division of Veterans Affairs
April 15, 2015
Thanks to the North Carolina Council of Chapters Officers, Presidents and members who stormed the North Carolina Legislature April 15, 2015.
Scroll over the thumbnail photographs to the right to see additional photographs from the legislative day to honor veterans:
- Color guard prepares to present the colors.
- Veterans assembled in front of the NC State Legislative Building for opening ceremony.
- Bagpiper leads the veterans into the legislature building following honors to the colors.
April 14, 2015
Pictured (L to R): COL Mike Rogers, USA; Mrs. Andi Wrenn, Currently Serving Spouse Advisory Committee; COL Ed Baisden, USA-Ret.; COL Jeri Graham, USA-Ret., President, NC Council of Chapters
- The more than 160 national, state and local MOAA representatives gather on the steps of the capitol (lower photograph) prior to making our case before Congress to prevent big DoD proposed TRICARE fees hikes, to sustain military pay and benefits, to eliminate sequestration and more.
- Thank you MOAA...Keep fighting the good fight!!
- Click here and visit the Photo Gallery to learn more and see pictures from the event...